Thursday, October 11, 2012

Review: Arranged


Rating: 
Author: Catherine McKenzie
Genre: Adult Fiction; Contemporary Romance; Chick-Lit
Publisher: (William Morrow) Harper Collins
Publication Date: January 8, 2011
Pages: 243
Format: E-Book, Trade Fiction Paperback
Content Rating: PG-13

“You just need to be honest with yourself about what kind of life you want.  And once you do that, you'll know what you want and how to get it." ~ Catherine McKenzie, Arranged



Overview

Anne Blythe has a great life: a good job, close friends, and a potential book deal for her first novel. When it comes to finding someone to share her life with, however, she just can't seem to get it right. When her latest relationship implodes, and her best friend announces she's engaged, Anne impulsively calls what she thinks is a dating service—only to discover that it's actually an exclusive, and pricey, arranged marriage service. Anne initially rejects the idea, but the more she learns about the service, the more she thinks: Why not? After all, arranged marriages are the norm for millions of women around the world; maybe it could work for her.

A few months later, Anne is travelling to a Mexican resort, where in one short weekend she will meet and marry Jack. And against all odds, it seems to be working out-until Anne learns that Jack, and the company that arranged their marriage, are not what they seem at all. (Harper Collins /Goodreads)

Review

I love it when I stumble on a book that I was not expecting and it then turns out to be exactly what I need.  Such was my introduction to the beautifully simple writing style of Catherine McKenzie through her second book Arranged.

I came across Arranged while searching through the 'Deals' section on my Nook. It was temporarily marked down to $1.99 (Although, the sale did not last long at all and it is now back to its standard $9.99.) I will confess it was the cover that caught my eye initially.  Then I read the overview and thought to myself, "hmm, this is different.  I need something different. My book rut is quickly becoming a book pothole. "  After reading over some reviews that explained how McKenzie wove in a correlation to the classic serial Anne of Green Gables, I was sold (my sister-in-law and my niece are HUGE Anne fans.)

What I didn't expect was how absorbed I would be after only the first few pages and even more that it would continue to keep me entertained all the way to the end. 

Arranged was first and foremost a strong character-driven self discovery novel.  It had a handful of life themes that really wrapped up Anne's journey in a heart-felt and realistic manner.  'Forgiveness', 'making your own way' and 'love requires hard work' are the most prominent lessons Anne navigates through her relationship with Jack and the trials of their arranged marriage. 

I really can't say enough good things about McKenzie's writing style.  It flows so easily.  The dialogue is crisp and the settings transport you seamlessly.  My mind did not have to work to understand the characters or the plot even though both were complex and three-dimensional.  It just clicked. A writer that can do that is one to add to your favorites list. What impresses me even more is that McKenzie is a  lawyer by day and writes in her spare time!  I'll be picking up McKenzie's first novel Spin next and will follow that up with her new novel Forgotten when it is released on October 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...