September was a pretty good month book wise. I had a five-star read that I have been waiting for all year, a good helping of four-star reads and even my three-star reads leaned more towards three and a half-stars!
Kristin's Bookshelf for September 2012
I have been waiting all year for this one and wow did it pay off! I was sorely mistaken in assuming it could not get any darker or more disturbing than its predecessor Captive in the Dark.
It was almost too much at times but one of the best story lines I have come across (if you can stomach some of the content.) I will be reviewing this one very soon!
This indie novel has quickly become a hit since its release at the beginning of the month. It has an original plot and keeps you invested in the story all the way through. I sat on the fence for a while on whether or not it deserved five-stars but after reading Seduced in the Dark, I bumped it down to 4.5 stars. Plus it takes place in Edinburgh, my most favorite city in the world :)
This novel is moving and deserving of its many awards for sure. It does, however, take fortitude to read it. It is set during WWII and is narrated by Death. Enough said.
I really enjoyed this indie read even though I could predict the outcome by page 10. It was a fast read and the plot line was unique. It will have a sequel that I will be sure to pick up.
This one was a near miss for me. I really liked the story but I felt it got weighed down in the descriptions of settings. It almost felt like a love letter to fast food with all the stops along the way (too many to remember).
Send (★★★★☆) By Patty Blount
Send was not what I expected and that was a good thing! Yeah, it had romance but that was not what held you captive. This one is narrated by 18-year-old Daniel Ellison (Kenny) and it is a serious look at bullying.
Kristan Higgins writes engaging romance stories but not sex. You will not find descriptive love scenes in her novels. Sometimes that works and sometimes not. This time it worked really well. Her characters in this one are so well written and have such personality that you don't miss the steam.
This is classic Nora Roberts. I know that for the most part if I pick up a Nora Roberts book I am gonna get a story I will want to finish. That is what makes her one of the most successful romance authors of all times. I am invested and will be reading the next two in this series ASAP!
This indie had so much potential. I read the overview and was really looking forward to it! Unfortunately it missed more than it hit the mark. The hero and heroine could have connected more, could have worked harder to solve the mystery of his identity. It had a lot of sex and not a lot of chemistry.
On My Bookshelf for October 2012
The Sea of Tranquility By Katja Millay
The Fault in Our Stars By John Green
Futures and Frosting By Tara Sivec
Unbroken By Lauren Hillenbrand
My Favorite Mistake By Chelsea Cameron
Gone Girl By Gillian Flynn
Dead Until Dark By Charlaine Harris
The Last Boyfriend
By Nora Roberts
No comments:
Post a Comment