Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review: Callum & Harper

Rating: ★★★★☆
Author: Fisher Amelie
Genre: Romance; Mature Young Adult; Suspense
Publisher: Fisher Amelie
Publication Date:  December 24, 2011
Pages: 242
Series: Sleepless #1
Format: E-Book, Self-Publish Paperback
Content Rating: PG-13

“One day, you and I are gonna wake up and be alright. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but one day. One day. I promise you.” ~Fisher Amelie, Callum & Harper




Overview

Homeless and alone after ageing out of the foster system, orphans Harper Bailey and Callum Tate cross paths in a New York City social services office one summer afternoon and two lives once lived in parallel collide. In each other they finally find the family, friendship and deep abiding love that has eluded them both as a matter of circumstance. But things aren't always so simple and Harper and Callum learn that once you have gained everything you could ever want you are at risk of losing everything that matters most.


Book Trailer 





Review 

I am such a sucker for a book with a built-in soundtrack! It helps even more when the music enhances the story so perfectly. Please Don't Go by Barcelona and Where is my Mind by The Pixies will always remind me of these two misfit star-crossed lovers.

That said, this novel really threw me for a loop. I had to sit on this one for a while because I loved it but couldn't exactly pinpoint why.

Harper and Callum are just so perfect for each other and their story is breathtaking, frustrating, sweet and funny all at once. From the moment they meet they are drawn to each other but they dance around their feelings for each other for far longer than most heroes and heroines in a typical romance novel. Unfortunately, they are plagued with the fear of having the one thing that means everything to them (each other) taken away or rejected as they have both grown accustom to through their trials in the foster system. So instead they choose to settle for playing it safe and harboring their true feelings for a good majority of the novel. But, since Amelie has written this story in alternating points of view, you get to experience both characters fear, growth and yearning in a powerful way.

My only real qualm was the continuous loop of suspense. Don't get me wrong, I love a good suspense but I felt that Amelie went slightly over on the number of "incidents" that were threatening to Harper and Callum. The story line was strong enough without all the suspenseful climaxes. Once you reach the resolution, however, it was awesome and to borrow Callum's words "My God was it worth the wait."

The real beauty in this novel is Amelie's talent in painting a picture with her words and fleshing out fascinating three-dimensional characters. I felt like I was navigating the streets of New York and learning to survive right along with Harper and Callum. Amelie took two people who should by most accounts be incredibly jaded and created a beautiful love story full of innocence, vulnerability and hope.
-30- 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...